- 1 Preparing for your Conference
- 2 Host Login
- 3 The Host Options Screen and Functionality
- 3.1 Create a Meeting
- 3.2 Email Invitations
- 3.3 Joining a Meeting
- 3.4 Editing a Meeting
- 3.5 Ending a Meeting
- 3.6 Editing the Host Details
- 3.7 Options
- 3.8 Registration Manager
- 4 Meeting Room Functionality as a Host
- 5 Application Bar
- 5.1 ShowMyDesktop
- 5.2 File Sharing
- 5.3 Web Video Player and YouTube Player
- 5.4 Noteboard
- 5.5 Whiteboard
- 5.6 Surveys & Polls
- 5.7 Recording
- 5.8 Email Invitations
- 5.9 Manage Conference Call
- 5.10 Video Layout
- 5.11 Audio / Video Settings
- 5.12 Return to the Host Screen
- 5.13 Exit the Application
- 5.14 Options Menu within a meeting
- 5.15 Help
Preparing for your Conference
Before your conference begins, here are some helpful hints and steps you can follow to ensure a smooth and productive meeting:
- Make sure all your Participants have the equipment they will need for the meeting setup properly prior to your Meeting. Not having to troubleshoot video or audio problems during the meeting will make the experience better for everyone involved.
- Test thoroughly beforehand.
- Hardwired Internet Connections are recommended.
- Make sure you have the latest versions of both your browser and of the Adobe Flash Player. You can check Adobe's Website for the newest version of Flash Player.
- Clear your browser cache of old files and try to close any applications that are not going to be used during your Meeting.
- Always make sure to select Allow if the Flash Player Settings box prompts you before you join a video conference. This is important, if you select Deny neither your camera or microphone will work.
- Make sure you have configured your meeting the way you want it to be well in advance of the scheduled date/time. Don’t wait until the last minute.
- Make sure that no other programs or websites are open with the camera feed (Photo Booth, Skype, Facebook, Camera Software, etc.) before you log into your meeting.
- If you plan on using VOIP, a USB Headset works best.
- Open the web browser of your choice (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, etc.) and enter your login page. This should have been given to you by VCI or the Administrator of your account.
- The proper format is normally something like "https://mm3.videoconferencinginfo.com/" without quotation marks.
- Click the Host button to continue. Logging in as a Host allows you to create meetings.
- Your meeting participants will click the Guest button as this will allow them to be a participant in your conference.
- Enter the User Name and Password that was created when your account was established.
The Host Options Screen and Functionality
Create a Meeting
Click Create Meeting - Please note that the screenshots and descriptions below reference all capabilities. Not all of these functions are available for all accounts.
- Meeting Name: Type the name you wish to call your meeting here. If the name is available and not already in use on the account, the green circle with a checkbox will appear to the right.
- Expected Attendees: Change this number to the amount of attendees (including Hosts) you expect in your meeting and the system will use this number to determine how many total video windows to show based on the number in the Video Windows selection.
- Depending on how many seats your account has, this number will also help determine which server on which your meeting is placed.
- Meeting Date/Time: You can set the date and time for your meeting here. This information is primarily for the benefit of the guests you are inviting via the email invitations, as the system does not restrict the Host from using the meeting at any time or based on this setting. In other words you can use this meeting whenever you like regardless of the date/time settings, but as far as your guests know the date/time you set is when they are supposed to join.
- Enforce Date/Time: Selecting this will prevent guests from joining the meeting before the date and time listed.
- Meeting Template: Select a template which predetermines all of the advanced settings.
- Templates are set up by the Administrator of your account.
- Click the Advanced Options to open the Advanced Parameters you can set for this meeting:
- Video Windows: This setting will determine the total amount of video windows you wish to display in the meeting, any attendees over this amount will not display a video window.
- Host Only Video: With this selected only the host will have video in the meeting.
- Host Only VOIP: With this selected only the host will be able to use VOIP audio in the meeting.
- Video Quality: Choose between Standard or Low (Bandwidth) options for all camera images. Low (Bandwidth) should be used if you're trying to preserve bandwidth in a situation where some users might not have the best internet connection.
- Meeting Security: You can set an optional password for your meeting or require Registration.
- Choose Password and type a password into the field that appears on the screen. Your guests will need this password in order to join the meeting.
- Choose Registration to have your guests fill out a form before they can join your meeting. When you select Registration you will need to click the Registration Options button to access your options.
- Please see the registration wiki article for further explanation about this function.
- Auto Accept Attendees Checkbox: By having this box checked it will bypass asking the Host of the conference if an attendee can join or not. With this engaged guests can join the conference without a Host being present.
- Show Meeting in Search: If checked this will allow the meeting to appear in the Guest Meeting Name field as a searchable meeting. This means if the Guest types in the name it will search for the name, otherwise this meeting will have to be typed fully in the field in order for the Guest to find and join it.
- Auto-record Meeting: Requires Recording and allows you to start the recording as soon as someone joins the meeting.
- Note: If a guest joins your first, recording will still start automatically and you may have some "dead air" at the beginning of your recording.
- Disconnect Users after x minutes: If you're having a meeting for a particular amount of time, you can automatically disconnect your users after x amount of minutes. For example, if the value is set to 30 minutes, each user will be disconnected after 30 minutes. If one party joins a meeting at 9:00, he or she will be disconnected at 9:30. If another party joins the same meeting at 9:05, he or she will be disconnected at 9:35.
- Audio Settings: Your two main options for audio in the meeting are setting up a telephone conference bridge using the options below, or using the internal VOIP system that is automatically available by default in every meeting. The VOIP system requires either a headset with built-in microphone (recommended) or an external microphone and speakers on the computer you are at.
- Turn User's Microphone On Automatically: The Guest microphone will be turned on automatically when they join the meeting.
- You can apply this to either Browser Users, App Users, or both.
- Disable Ability To Turn Microphone On / Off: A lesser used feature which, when checked, does not allow Guests or Hosts to change their microphone from On to Off and vice versa.
- You can apply this to either Browser Users, App Users, or both.
- Checking this function will not allow a Host or a Guest to turn their microphones on if Turn User's Microphone On Automatically is not checked. This kind of scenario disables the VOIP functionality in the Meeting.
- You can apply this to either Browser Users, App Users, or both.
- Default Chat Sound On: This function allows you to turn and off the chat sounds when someone types a message into the Public Chat Window.
- Default Alert Sound On: This function allows you to turn and off the alert sounds when someone joins or disconnects from your meeting.
- Toll Free Conferencing: The Toll-Free Conferencing option is a service we provide. Please contact us in order to get more information or to sign up for this feature.
- Use Toll Conferencing: This is the free version of our teleconferencing, where all you and your guests pay is the long distance fee (if applicable) to a US area code.
- When using Toll-Conferencing, the moderator and attendees receive different codes. If you are hosting the meeting, make sure you use the moderator code as doing so gives you access to the moderator controls that can be found on this page - Toll Conferencing Key Commands.
- When using *2 to record the conference call, you will be asked for a Recording Number. Enter any number you please. Your guests will need this number when they playback the recorded conference call. Teleconferencing recordings are stored for 21 days.
- At the end of the recording, hit *2 again to stop the recording.
- To playback a recoded conference call, dial (206) 402-0829 .
- Enter the Access Code and Recording Number to playback the recorded conference call.
- User Defined Conferencing: This function allows you to use a conference number that you have through another provider or our Toll Free Conferencing.
- Enter your conference number without any spaces, dashes, or parentheses.
- Enter your Moderator Code and your Attendee Code to the proper fields.
- No Phone Conferencing: There will not be a teleconferencing number provided for your meeting.
- Mix Teleconferencing and VOIP Audio: This feature requires the business bundle. To see the full article explaining this feature, click here - VOIP and Telephone Integration
User Options allow you to give additional functionality to the Guest in a meeting room (Hosts will always have these functions by default). Any option you check on in the User Options box will be enabled for the Guest by default and can be taken away from the Edit Meeting or from within the meeting itself. You can get a detailed usage of the above items in the subsequent sections below.
- Play Guest Audio and Watch Guest Video should be checked if you'd like all guests to be able to see other guests.
- Uncheck these checkboxes if you do not want the guests to be able to see and hear the other guests connected. Only hosts would see and hear the guests.
- Unchecking Private Chat removes the Guest-To-Guest Private Chat capability.
- Guests will still be able to send a Private Chat message to the host of the meeting.
- Guests who change the Video Layout are only changing their layout. This does not effect the layout of anyone else's screen.
- If you plan on using File Sharing make sure that Download Files is checked so your guests will be able to download what you upload.
- Meeting Skin: Select the Skin you'd like to use for the meeting you're creating.
- Default Video Layout: Choose between all Video Layout options as a default for your meeting. See this link for a detailed explanation of each option - Video Layout
- Display Welcome Message: If unselected the Welcome window with the Meeting info will not appear when a User joins the meeting. Meeting Info is still available via the Meeting Information label on the Control Panel.
- Auto-hide Name on Video: When checked the Name Bar appears on a camera image only when one puts their mouse on the camera image. If unchecked, the Name Bar always appears on the camera image no matter where one's mouse is.
- Dock Self Video: When checked one's camera image appears in the Control Panel on the right hand side of the screen. If unchecked one's camera image will appear on the Stage of the Meeting.
- Note: The camera image during ShowMyDesktop is always Docked and visible in the Control Panel.
- Hide User List: When checked the guests cannot see the User List. This applies only to Guests. Hosts will still see the User List.
- Hide Guest Names in User List: When checked guests can only see Host Names in the User List. Hosts will still see the entire list of users, including guests.
- Hide Chat Panel: Disables Public Chat. Guests nor Hosts can chat publicly.
- Note: This does not disable Private Chat.
- Enable Persistent Chat: If enabled this will log all public chat messages and display all past messages to any new participants that login to the meeting. Chat will also be visible to participants at a later date if reusing the same meeting on a recurring basis.
- Show Alert Messages: When checked notices about users connecting or disconnecting and recording are displayed in the Public Chat.
- Hide Language List: Clicking this checkbox removes the Language List Dropdown menu from the top left hand portion of the screen.
- Hide Options Menu: Clicking this checkbox removes the Options Menu from the top left hand portion of the screen.
- Hide Shortcut Buttons: Clicking this checkbox leaves only the Disconnect and Exit buttons in the top right hand portion of your screen. Note: your guests will only see the Exit button in the top right hand portion of their screen.
- Hide Exit Button: Clicking this checkbox will not show the Exit button in the top right hand portion of the meeting screen. Hosts will still have the Disconnect button.
The Final Step to create your conference is to click Ok and you may send out your optional Email Invitations before joining.
- The invitations panel is used for meetings either at a future date or ones you are about to create. It pulls the parameters you set in the previous screen and places them in an email with a link to your meeting.
- Click the To: Button to add recipients to your recipients list, these can be added by hand or added from your Contacts Manager list that you may propagate ahead of time beforehand. To add contacts to your Contacts Manager you can add them from this screen, or add them to the Contacts Manager by clicking on the Options button in the upper left of your screen as the Host.
- Show Invite List will list the attendees in the body of the email. If you do not want the attendee's email addresses listed in the body of the invitation, uncheck this checkbox.
- Send as Calendar Event populates the recipients calendar within their email client. This is compatible with Outlook, Gmail etc.
- To copy the Meeting Link or Registration Link, click on either of those links and then Copy To Clipboard. The next time you paste anywhere, your Meeting or Registration link will show up. Use this method if you are creating your own email template, putting the link on your website, or inviting attendees elsewhere.
- The contents of this invite can be adjusted to your tastes and specific needs in the main body section, simply adjust or add text and change as needed.
- Lastly you may also Issue temporary Host access for this meeting which would allow you to enter the email address of someone who will be hosting your meeting. Temporary Hosts do not have access to creating meetings, recordings, editing meetings on your account, etc. They are Hosts for the particular meeting you're inviting them to.
- Once you click Send your emails will be sent out and your conference will be created. Alternatively you may also Skip this step if you do not wish to send out Email Invitations at this time, you may always opt to send them later from within the conference.
Joining a Meeting
- You can reuse any meeting you have held in the past by simply selecting it from this dropdown list and clicking the Join Meeting button. Meetings will retain all the parameters you originally set them up with, but do not store information or remember who attended last.
- Before you join, you will be able to configure your camera and microphone accordingly. Use Select Camera and Select Mic to setup and choose your respective devices before choosing or typing your Meeting Name and Your Name above.
[Note: A camera and Mic are not required to join a meeting, this screen is merely to help you set these up before you join where applicable]
To Continue: Skip to the Using Your Conference Section Below
Editing a Meeting
- To edit the parameters of a previously created meeting, click the Edit Meeting button. All the features below are optional, use them to enable optional features or disable features you don't need.
- The Edit Screen is broken up into 5 different sections: General, Advanced, Audio Settings, User Options, and Appearance settings.
- Select the Meeting Name in the drop down menu at the top.
- Add a Password or Registration to your meeting.
- Change other Advanced Settings.
- For a full explanation of these settings, please see the Advanced Settings portion of this article.
- Add a Teleconferencing number to your meeting or turn user's microphones on automatically when they join.
- Change other Audio Settings.
- For a full explanation of these settings, please see the Audio Settings portion of this article.
- Change what options your Guests will be able to use in your meeting.
- For a full explanation of these settings, please see the User Options portion of this article
- Decide where you want the camera images to appear, hide certain areas of the Meeting, or whether or not you want to display the Welcome Message.
- For a full explanation of these settings, please see the Appearance Settings portion of this article
Ending a Meeting
- To delete and remove a previously saved meeting from the Join Meeting List, click the End Meeting button. All meetings created will be saved under the account login they were created with until you delete them in this manner.
Editing the Host Details
- Click the Edit Host Details button in the upper left of your screen after you have logged in as a Host.
- You can access additional tools from this dropdown.
- Contacts Manager: You can use the Contacts Manager to add email addresses to your account, which are used in the Invitations To.. Contacts.
- You can create new contacts within the contact manager by clicking on New Contact on the right hand side.
- You can also create folders as well by clicking on New Folder on the right hand side.
- Using the Import function, you can import a .CSV file that you've exported from your email client.
Email Invitations: Use this Invitations Method to send Invites to guests to any meeting you like, without having to create a meeting.
Recordings: Use this screen to manage all your previous recordings, you may delete and download any recording done on the account from this screen.
- The VCI Recording Feature allows you to create an archive of your meeting for use offline. The following components are recorded during your meeting: Host and Participant Video, Host and Participant VOIP Audio, Host and Participant Public Chat messages, ShowMyDesktop Presentations, Noteboard content and Whiteboard content.
- The recording link is available for as long as you have an account.
- Recordings are limited to 3 hours.
- If all users leave the meeting the recording will stop automatically and may require up to 48 hours before it is available to download
- The Registration Manager allows you to see who has registered for your meeting as well as confirm and export registrants. To see more about registration, click here - Registration
- Expand the folder for the meeting name blue clicking on the Blue Arrow to see who has registered for your meeting.
- To Confirm your guests, go through the registrants and click on the Confirmed checkbox next to their email address.
- To Export click on the Export Options text at the bottom.
- Then setup which Columns and Export options.
- Then click on the Export button to save a .CSV file to your computer.
You can download any of the additional items on your account from here. This includes the ShowMyDesktop Application, the SMD Highlighter Tool (Windows Users Only) as well as the Outlook Plugin Tool.
- The Outlook Meeting Addin Tool allows you to Create, Join and End Meetings directly from Microsoft Outlook.
- Click here to view the Outlook Meeting Addin guide.
Meeting Room Functionality as a Host
2) Your Video Box: The default location for your video window is in the Dock.
- The components below are contained within the Dock as well.
- This sidebar can be minimized, as well as disconnected from the right hand side of the screen and moved around.
- The Dock will disappear, instead of showing in the normal space (illustrated in red below) it will be hidden from the conference area.
- You can restore the Dock by clicking the icon that appears to the right of the Help Button.
- To float the Dock and make it movable on the screen, click the icon shown in the upper right corner.
1) Docks the video window in the control panel.
2) Opens the Audio and Video Settings window.
3) Pauses the video window. When the video is paused, click on the same button to un-pause.
4) Opens a menu to change the quality of the video image.
5) Places the video window in its place and size according to the Video Layout.
If you are using Google Chrome and experiencing audio issues, please try another web browser. We have had issues with Chrome and it's built-in version of the Flash Player from Adobe. Please use either Internet Explorer or Firefox from a PC or Safari or Firefox on a Mac.
3) Audio Options: To use the VOIP capabilities of the meeting area, first choose the type of audio you expect to be using: Headset or Speakers.
- Headset: Acoustic Echo Cancellation operates in low-echo mode. This offers the least amount of echo cancellation but is also the least processor-intensive.
- Speakers > USB Mic: Auto echo cancellation operates in Half Duplex mode. In Half Duplex mode, only one party should speak at a time, as part of the echo-cancellation includes lowering the volume of other Users. Labeled USB Mic because USB microphones do NOT support Full Duplex mode. More processor intensive than Low-Echo (headset) mode.
- Speakers > Line/Built-In Mic: Auto echo cancellation operates in Full Duplex mode, which offers the highest quality of Echo Cancellation. Allows users to speak at once without lowering volume or producing echoes. Will NOT work with USB microphones; must be line-in or built-in. Requires the most processing power of the three options.
4) User List: This displays the current attendees in your conference including the Host(s).
- From the User List you can initiate Private Chat, User Permissions as well as other settings for each guest inside the meeting. Simply click on their name to reveal the menu below.
5) Chat Area: Use this to text chat with attendees in your conference.
- Clicking on the bars to the right of the text, Public Chat reveals a menu.
- Switch to Chat Window: Opens a standalone chat window.
- Text Size: Allows you to change the size of the text in the Chat Window.
- Choose between Small, Medium, Large, X-Large, and XX-Large.
- Clear Chat deletes all of the chat messages.
- With Show Chat checked, the chat messages appear in the window. When Show Chat is unchecked, the messages disappear, but are not deleted. One can toggle the check mark to show/hide the chat messages.
- With Show Alerts checked, the alerts appear in the window. When Show Alerts is unchecked, the alerts will disappear, but are not deleted. One can toggle the check mark to show/hide the alerts.
- Alerts will be messages about someone joining or disconnecting from the meeting.
- When Play incoming chat sound is checked, you will hear a chime when someone sends a chat message.
- When Play incoming alert sound is checked, you will hear a chime when someone joins or disconnects from the meeting.
- When Submit on Enter Key is checked, you can use the Enter on your keyboard to send your message. If Submit on Enter Key is unchecked, you will have to physically click the Send button at the bottom of the dock.
6) Application Icons: These are your buttons to activate the functionality as a Host in the conference room.
- Please see the ShowMyDesktop Guide
File Sharing allows you to upload and download files between you and your guests.
- To upload a file, click on the File Sharing icon, then Select a File.
- Choose the file you'd like to upload, then click on Upload.
- Your guests will need to have access to the File Sharing icon in order to download your files.
- This can be set up when you first create the meeting or through the User Permissions window.
- To download a file, click on the File Sharing icon.
- Choose one of the files in the list of uploaded files, then Download Selected File.
Web Video Player and YouTube Player
The Web Video Player allows you to stream a video to other participants in the meeting room.
Support Sources for Video - YouTube - Dropbox - FTP/Custom Webserver - Files uploaded using the File Sharing feature.
PLEASE NOTE: VCI.com does not endorse, nor support any of the third party websites or third party software mentioned in this article.
The video must be in one of the following formats:
- .FLV – Flash Format
- .F4V – Flash Format
- .F4P – Flash Format
- .F4A – Flash Format
- .F4B – Flash Format
- .MOV – Standard Mac Output Format
- .MP4 – Other Codecs
- .M4V – Other Codecs
- .M4A – Other Codecs
- .3GP – Other Codecs
- Paste the URL to a web hosted video into the Web Video Player window, or select an uploaded file from the dropdown.
- Optionally, you can choose to Mute all Guests VOIP audio while the video is playing.
- Click Load.
The Noteboard can be used to collaborate with attendees in a text format. When you click on the Noteboard icon, you'll see the image below.
- The Note Board can be edited by anyone inside the Meeting.
- Click on Edit at the bottom of the window to add notes.
- When you're done adding notes, click Done at the bottom.
- The following image illustrates all the text options you have simply by choosing them from the bottom portion of the Noteboard.
- Highlight the text for your link.
- Paste your link into the URL field in the bottom left of the Noteboard.
- Click Done.
- You can collaborate in a visual format with the Whiteboard.
- The White Board allows you as the host to upload an image (JPG format only) into the background of the whiteboard that all attendees can add notes to using the tools on the right.
- Click Options to activate the options available to the Host.
- Click the Set Background button to upload an image
- Click the Fit Drawing Area to Window to fit this image into the box
- Click the Clear Whiteboard to clear the notes made
Surveys & Polls
For a complete description of Surveys and Polls, please see the Survey and Poll Manager article.
Use the Recording Icon to start and stop the recording.
Click here to see a full explanation of this feature - Recording
You can also send email invites to any previously created meeting from within your current meeting from the Email Invitations.
- For detailed usage please see the Email Invitations Article.
Manage Conference Call
From the Manage Conference Call icon you can initiate a Bridge of the VOIP audio and Teleconferencing.
- For detailed usage please see the VoIP/Telephone_Integration Article.
- You can change the position of single attendees or the entire group from the Video Layout.
- Tile: Set the videos in tiled order
- Horizontal: Sets the videos in horizontal order
- Fit: Fits all videos into available screen size
- PIP: Short for Picture in Picture, this is a great setting for one-on-one meetings. It allows you to have one large camera image and one smaller image inside the larger camera image.
- Order: This affects the Host's view only and not the view of those attending the Meeting.
- Alphabetical Order: This option will organize the attendees alphabetically by user name.
- Custom Order: Define the order you wish the videos to appear in the room. Click Custom Order then Edit Custom Order.
- Connection Order: This is the default option. It will organize the attendees based on the order in which they entered the Meeting.
- No Video Windows: This option will remove all video feeds from the room. It will not remove any attendees, only their video windows.
- Smooth Video Transitions: When checked the videos will glide to their new position. When unchecked, the video will briefly disappear and reappear in its new position.
- Enable Broadcast Interface: Broadcast Interface allows the host to control the size and placement of the video windows that all attendees see in the meeting room. Once in place, the attendees cannot alter these settings.
- To set, adjust the size and placement of the Host video windows as desired, then click Enable Now. The Enable Now button will change to Disable Now.
- To release, click Disable Now. All attendees windows will revert to their original settings.
Audio / Video Settings
- Click this to turn on or off your webcam and microphone as well as adjust sound levels and choose other devices.
Return to the Host Screen
- Click this to disconnect from the current meeting and return to the Host Options Screen.
Exit the Application
- Logs you out completely as Guest or Host.
Options Menu within a meeting
7) Options Dropdown List: Many of the same Functionality buttons can be accessed from this dropdown.
- To allow the Feedback List, choose Show Feedback Options. Your guests will see the Select Feedback drop down menu on their screens.
- Tell your guests to use the Select Feedback drop down menu to give non verbal responses during the meeting.
- Look at the user list to see which users are giving what feedback.
- Clear Feedback to remove the icons from the user list.
- Kick Attendee allows the host to disconnect one of the guests from the meeting.
- You can also ban their IP address to prevent the users to connect from that location in the future.
- Use the Steam Management window to choose who can be seen and who can use VOIP during your meeting.
- First select a Meeting to move users to.
- Then select the user, click on their name and drag them to the bottom portion of the Move Users screen.
- Click on OK to complete the move.
8) Help Button: Click this to access this help document and other resources.