This article will explain how to use the Recording feature for your account and some of its best practices. In addition there are some Frequently Asked Questions listed at the bottom of this article.
Recording is available for all accounts for an additional, single charge. If you have questions about adding this feature to your account, please call us at 818-783-4311 ext 2 for the Sales Department.
- 1 Recording a Meeting
- 2 Watching a Recording
- 3 Downloading a Recording
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4.1 How do I send a Recording to someone?
- 4.2 How can I get someone to Download the Recording?
- 4.3 My Online Recording shows 0:00:00 time
- 4.4 My Online Recording says "Connection Terminated"
- 4.5 I cannot download my Recording
- 4.6 I am trying to extract the downloaded Recording, but it's giving me corrupt files
Recording a Meeting
Recording can be turned on manually within a meeting or turned on automatically by checking "Auto-Record Meeting" on the Create or Edit Meeting screens.
Within the meeting, click on the Recording icon at the top right of the screen.
When Recording is active and recording the meeting, the icon will be red.
Recording captures Video, Voice Over IP (audio through the phone if you've "Mixed" Teleconferencing and VOIP), Public Chat, the Whiteboard, and anything shown using ShowMyDesktop. The final state of the Noteboard will also be displayed. Due to size restrictions, the live edits made to the Noteboard are not captured during playback.
Watching a Recording
You can retrieve your Recording either within the Meeting or from your Host Page. This section will cover both methods.
Within a Meeting
When you're done Recording your Meeting, click the Red Recording icon to stop it. Upon clicking the Red Recording icon, you'll see an Alert in the Public Chat which reads, "New Recording Available Online". Click on it to either Watch Recording Now or Copy URL to Clipboard.
- Watching the Recording now will open a new tab or browser window and show you the recorded Meeting.
- Copying the URL to your Clipboard will allow you to Paste the Recording Link in an email, document, or other program.
If you plan on sending anyone a link to your recording, copy the URL and paste it in what you'll be sending.
From the Host Page
Click Options in the top left of the Host Page.
- Domain Usage: How much of the capacity the full account is at.
- Your Usage: How much of your specific capacity is taken up.
- Note: Admins can limit Host Logins to a percentage of the full account. In a scenario like this, Your Usage will show a higher percentage than the Domain Usage.
Either search for or click on the Recording you'd like to View or Download in the list.
- Click to Copy Recording URL to your Clipboard: Paste anywhere to reveal the Recording Link.
- View: Opens the online recording playback in a new tab or browser window.
- Download: Saves the assets of the recording to your computer. This functionality is covered in the next section in more detail.
- Delete: Removes the recording from the VCI servers. Recordings that are deleted cannot be retrieved.
Downloading a Recording
- Select a Recording and click Download at the bottom. This method should be used if you plan on importing the Recording Files into your own Video Editing Software to combine them.
The recording downloads as a .zip file and will need to be extracted or unarchived in order to be used. Upon extraction, open the Resources Folder to reveal the .flv files of the recording.
Each user connected to your meeting will have their own .flv file.
ShowMyDesktop is a separate .flv file and the Public Chat is a separate .flv file as well.
Unfortunately these are the only aspects of the meeting that can be downloaded. The Noteboard and Whiteboard are not available for download and only visible during online playback.
Import the .flv files into the Video Editing Software of your choice and make sure the Video, Audio, and ShowMyDesktop files are lined up in sequential order.
Use your software to create your own recording file.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below is a list of some of the questions that may arise during reading this article or Recording a Meeting.
How do I send a Recording to someone?
The easiest way to send a recording to someone is by giving them the online playback link you copied to your clipboard.
How can I get someone to Download the Recording?
The previous section to Download a Recording explains the best way to send someone a single file for the recording. Please reference the previous section for the best answer to this question.
My Online Recording shows 0:00:00 time
Please alert VCI's Tech Support Staff if you see 0:00:00 time. There is likely something wrong with or missing from the Recording. Tech Support will attempt their best to remedy the recording issue.
My Online Recording says "Connection Terminated"
Similar to the previous question, please alert VCI's Tech Support Staff if you see Connection Terminated when attempting to view the online recording playback. There is likely something wrong with or missing from the Recording itself and Tech Support will attempt their best to remedy the recording issue.
I cannot download my Recording
Similar to the previous question, please alert VCI's Tech Support Staff if you are unable to download your recording. It may not have packaged properly or there may be missing assets from not stopping the recording that is causing this issue. Tech Support will attempt their best to remedy the recording issue.
I am trying to extract the downloaded Recording, but it's giving me corrupt files
Similar to the previous question, please alert VCI's Tech Support Staff if you are not able to extract, unarchive, or unzip your downloaded recording. There are likely assets of the recording that are missing and Tech Support will attempt their best to remedy the recording issue.